About us: Trans Empowerment Project is a gender inclusive organization that is aimed at identifying and creating necessary resources to further the empowerment and progression of the Transgender community across the US. How we got started: Our founder, Jack Knoxville, started navigating the coming out process as a transman in Knoxville, TN. To his surprise, there seemed to be a lot of people, also in the area, who didn't identify as a part of the binary. Yet for some reason, many people were isolated and struggling to find access to resources they needed to live as their authentic selves. After talking to his cis-friends, he realized there was an equally large number of cis people that wanted to help the community. Jack decided it was time the two communities met face to face and enlisted the help of a few friends. The group decided to hold the first clothing swap for Trans Empowerment Project on Dec. 10th, 2016. After just 3 weeks of planning, the new group was able to successfully organize a clothing drive and give away totally free clothing items, (including shoes and accessories) to over 100 people across Knoxville.
Where we are now:
- We received our first 2 grants in June of 2018 to further our outreach. (One from the Trans Justice Funding Project to accommodate emergency HRT requests & the other from the Appalachian Community Fund to expand our educational reach in Eastern, TN).
- Some of that outreach includes national efforts to reach Trans youth and young adults in crisis.
- We launched a community clothes closet program so that we can extend our resources to inclusive allies.
- We are working toward establishing an entire website dedicated toward furthering education about the trans community for allies (including downloadables)
- We now offer a mentor program that allows folks within the Trans community to become resources for each other
- We help with job searches
- We are working toward helping new chapters launch before the end of 2018
- We are constantly expanding our volunteer base so that we can further effect change across the US.
- Partnering with Trans affirming organizations across the country to help elevate one another while increasing our impact on helping further the Trans community.
- Gearing up to launch a TEP Ambassador Program for our social media superstars.
- Leading workshops at national conferences such as the Power of Pink, hosted by Planned Parenthood & the Trans Wellness Conference in Philadelphia.
If you are interested in joining us, sign up for our email/text list:
We have launched our "inTRANSition Mentoring Program". Currently we have 20 mentors going through training, 8 completed with training, and 3 matched with a mentee.
We now offer Name/Gender Change Assistance through our program "TransFormations". To apply for assistance, click here.